As a follower of the United Nations Global Compact, GVL supports the Compact's Ten Principles which are based on The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, The International Labor Organization's Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, The Rio Declaration on Environment and Development and The United Nations Convention Against Corruption.
In addition, GVL supports the United Nations Framework on Business and Human Rights and the Guiding Principles for the Implementation of the United Nations 'Protect, Respect and Remedy' Framework. The UN Global Compact's specific Ten Principles are:
- Support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights.
- Ensure the company is not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
- Uphold the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labor.
- Uphold the effective abolition of child labor.
- Eliminate discrimination in employment and occupation.
- Support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
- Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
- Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
We respect the environment, the communities in which we operate, and our employees' human rights, and we oppose corruption.
We expect our employees and suppliers to act in a socially and environmentally responsible manner. We require them to comply with applicable laws and regulations. We encourage corruption-free decision-making and sound management based on appropriate environmental, occupational health and safety, and human rights and labor policies.
Golden Veroleum will:
- Prohibit the use of forced, bonded, indentured or involuntary prison labor.
- Not employ workers below 16 years of age.
- Set work hours to comply with local law.
- Comply with applicable wage laws, regulations, and relevant collective bargaining agreements, including those relating to minimum wages, overtime hours and legally mandated benefits.
- Maintain workplaces free of physical or mental harassment and abuse.
- Maintain workplaces free of unlawful discrimination and harassment in all of its forms, including that related to race, gender, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy, caste, disability, union membership, ethnicity, religious beliefs or any other factors protected by law.
- Respect employees' voluntary freedom of association, including their right to organize and bargain collectively in a manner that is legally compliant; legally recognized workers' representatives will have access to facilities necessary to carry out their required functions; will not discriminate against such workers' representatives.
- Encourage open communication and direct contact between workers and management in situations where representation and collective bargaining are restricted by law.
- Respect the special needs of individual employees, including those who are pregnant or are returning to work after childbirth.
- Respect employees' rights to privacy of their personal information.
HEALTH and SAFETY
- Minimize worker exposure to potential safety hazards through proper design, engineering and administrative controls, preventive maintenance and safe work procedures. Provide and properly maintain machine safeguards, interlocks and barriers. Workers are not to be disciplined for raising safety concerns.
- Maintain appropriate emergency plans and response procedures.
- Manage, track and reports occupational injuries and illnesses.
- Provide clean toilet facilities, and access to potable water and sanitary food preparation and storage facilities.
- Strive to continuously improve health and safety performance in all of its operations. Rights & Sustainability Policy
- Minimize adverse effects of our operations on the community and environment, while safeguarding the health and safety of the public.
- Acquire, maintain, and comply with the appropriate environmental permits, registrations, and law.
- Implement programs to conserve water and energy, and reduce waste.
- Identify and manage potentially hazardous materials used in our operations to ensure safe handling, movement, storage, recycling or reuse, and disposal of such materials.
- Monitor, treat, and control air emissions, waste-water and waste as required prior to discharge or disposal.
- Prohibit corruption, extortion and embezzlement, bribery, or other means of obtaining undue or improper advantage.
- Properly protect business information, customer information, and intellectual property rights in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and business requirements.
- Appropriately protect employee and supplier "whistleblower" confidentiality and prohibit retaliation for reporting violations.