Golden Veroleum (Liberia) CEO, Patrice Lobet, announces a new sustainability action plan to strengthen and restore confidence in the company’s sustainability credentials. The time-bound action plan will enable GVL to:
- Properly assess and implement meaningful programmes rather than try to construct fixes to meet externally mandated timelines;
- Recruit locally experienced professionals to help guide the journey in a Liberia-appropriate way;
- Reconnect with and rebuild the trust of communities in which GVL operates and which are a core constituency of the business.
Our journey will involve:
- Contracting of well-respected and experienced implementation partners to address the most pressing issues.
- Strengthening of the local management team through the hiring of a locally experienced GM Sustainability and a senior stakeholder engagement and communications professional.
- Formalised support from GAR sustainability division to ensure compliance with GSEP given GAR’s majority investor role.
- Third party assessments on GVL’s implementation of sustainability policies and procedures.
Patrice Lobet believes that full implementation of the action plan will allow GVL to emerge in 12-18 months as a strong example of, and advocate for, sustainable palm oil production in Liberia. Read the statement here And a summary of the sustainability action plan here.