On 21 Jul 2018, Golden Veroleum (Liberia) CEO, Patrice Lobet, announced a sustainability action plan to strengthen and restore confidence in the company’s sustainability credentials. The time-bound action plan will enable GVL to:
- Properly assess and implement meaningful programmes to resolve remaining grievances and strengthen GVL’s operational processes to ensure environmental and social sustainability and compliance to local regulations and international standards;
- Recruit experienced professionals to help guide the journey in a Liberia-appropriate way;
- Reconnect with and continue to build the trust of communities in which GVL operates
Our journey will involve:
- Contracting of well-respected and experienced implementation partners to address the most pressing issues and to strengthen the foundations to ensure sustainable operations.
- Strengthening of the sustainability team through the hiring of locally experienced leaders and sustainability professionals.
- Formalised support from GAR sustainability division to ensure compliance with GAR Social and Environment Policy (GSEP) given GAR’s majority investor role.
- Progressive third party assessments on GVL’s implementation of sustainability policies and procedures.
Patrice Lobet believes that full implementation of the action plan will allow GVL to emerge in 12-18 months as a strong example of, and advocate for, sustainable palm oil production in Liberia.
Read or download Sustainability Action Plan details here
Progress updates can be found in our latest news